Hey! At the end of the month of June, we uploaded a quick preview of our vision for the new realms in Revenge of the Fallen. We’d discussed our plans loosely during a Q&A session, but it was the first time we’ve shown gameplay of it publicly.
Most of you guys have already seen it, but to be clear, the video does NOT represent a finished product–not even remotely. We’re getting closer to closed testing, so we wanted to show where we were at + what we’ve been working on so that y’all could get excited. We didn’t do a good enough job communicating that “close to testing” did NOT mean “close to a finished product.” Oops.
I’ll be linking the video below so that anyone who hasn’t seen it can do so, but, just to address some common questions/concerns:
- The biome areas that are seen in the video are placeholder. We intend to fully populate each biome with thematic minions, decorative objects, etc.
- Dungeons and keys are still core features of the game. The lords of the biomes are meant to drop the portals to their respective dungeons.
- Since these biomes were placeholder, most of the lords were just the bosses from their dungeons, but that’s not a permanent thing! Each dungeon in the game is meant to have a unique biome, tileset, minionset, and a lord to match it in the Realm.
- More work will be done to make the transitions between each biome feel natural.
- Each class is meant to have a unique Defensive ability. The two that are shown in the video, deflection + ghosting, will not be used as-is. The Defensive resource bar will also not be used as-is. We know how overpowered those abilities are in the video. They were just there for testing.
- There will be several different world bosses–not just the one seen in the video.
- The world boss featured in the video will have several more phases, and will be more challenging.
- “Beta keys” are now being called “closed testing keys” to more accurately reflect development state.
From now on, each blog post will include a closed testing key, which can be used at https://rotf.io/register. Each key is one-time use, so keep your eyes peeled. If you redeem a key successfully, once testing begins, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to download the testing client and play.
More to come, soon. Thanks for sticking with us.